Spiral wound gaskets are manufactured in different types and combinations of materials to suit the most rigorous applications.
Spiral wound gaskets
Spiral wound gaskets are typically made in circular shape, however they can be made in other shapes such as: oval, rectangular, with rounded corners, etc.
The standard thickness of the metal strip is 0.2mm.
The filler is generally made up of flexible graphite, but also of other materials such as PTFE, mica, etc.
The centering ring
Centering ring does not come into direct contact with the contained fluid.
It is normally made of carbon steel and galvanized or painted to prevent corrosion.
Other materials are available upon request Spiral Wound gasket with outer ring usually installed on raised face flanges according to ASME B 16.20 and EN 1514-2 or upon customer’s DWG.
The outer ring centers the gasket on flange face..
The inner ring
Spiral Wound gasket with inner ring usually installed on tongue and groove flanges according to ASME B 16.20 and EN 1514- 2 or upon customer’s DWG.
The Inner ring designed in order to protect gasket winding from heat and corrosion.
The thicknesses of production
Standard manufacturing thicknesses are 3.2mm, 4.5mm and 6.5mm (measured on metal tape excluding filler, which protrudes 0.2-0.3mm beyond the metal).
Spiral gaskets of non-standard sizes and shapes and larger diameters are available on request.
Properties and Apllications
- Spiral wound gaskets are suitable for applications where critical operating conditions.
- Seals are manufactured by spiraling a V-shaped metal strip and a strip of non-metallic filler material.
- Spiral wound gaskets can be reinforced by an external centering ring and or by an internal retaining ring.
- The outer centering ring provides compression control and center the gasket on flange face.
- The inner ring increases the axial stiffness and resilience of the seal.
SW10 – without centering and inner ring
SW20 – with external centering ring
SW30 – with inner ring
SW40 – with centering and with inner ring | VDI2440 certified